Illinois Limited Scope Representation: The Affordable Option
When Illinois refined its rules of Limited Scope Representation (LSR) for clients with limited resources, but who do not qualify for Legal Aid, it offered increased opportunity to law firms to “unbundle” legal tasks and still provide competent representation to clients. It also offered greater access to quality legal service for those clients whose lawsuits or legal matters are well within their means and skill set to help facilitate, in a limited partnership-type arrangement with an attorney. If you are in need of legal counsel and have limited resources, a LSR arrangement with an attorney might be right for you. The attorneys at Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. are highly effective and experienced attorneys who offer full service and limited scope representation to a growing number of clients in and around the communities of Northwest Illinois.
Full Service Versus LSR Fee Schedules
There are a number of requirements in full service attorney representation that can impact attorney fees in legal cases, especially in contested divorce, child custody, child support, and contentious division of property cases. Fees in full service representation cases may be driven by the many hours of professional services needed to best insure a successful case outcome. Fees increase over the course of the representation with the logging of service hours by various members of a firm’s legal team, including other specialty lawyers, investigators, consultants, and paralegals, all who may have a role in:
- Meeting with clients and vetting and deposing witnesses;
- Investigating evidence and case-related activities;
- Drafting, reviewing, and compiling complex documents required by the courts; and
- Participating at court-ordered proceedings, which may involve postponed hearings, contesting arguments and evidence, and appealing court rulings.
As an alternative to full service representation, limited scope representation can substantially reduce costs for a variety of cases, such as uncontested divorce, child support, contribution to college expenses, and division of assets. Several aspects of the LSR attorney/client arrangement affords the reduction in legal costs for the limited resource client by reducing the amount of time the attorney and other legal staff have to spend on the client’s case. In the LSR guidelines:
- Attorneys may represent clients for part of a civil lawsuit or legal transaction, as the case dictates;
- Lawyers may review client-drafted documents, or draft or “ghost-write” documents for the client, without actually having to sign the document or appear in court; and
- Knowledgeable clients may prepare their own documents and follow through on routine procedural aspects of their cases with limited oversight from the attorney.
Contact Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. for Limited Scope Representation
Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C. has been providing full service legal service in family law since 1995. Clients throughout Northwest Illinois and its surrounding communities, offer positive testimonies to the high quality professional results we have obtained in their cases. Our legal team is characterized by our affordability, accessibility, professionalism, and personalized service.
Whatever your legal needs, you can find an attorney ready to meet with you at one of our two convenient offices serving DuPage County, Chicago, Wheaton, Rolling Meadows, Bridgeview, Maywood, Skokie, and more. No case is too case small or too big for our dedicated attorneys, who can be reached at anytime. Contact us right away to see how we can protect your rights in LSR or full service arrangements.