Address 1200 Harger Road, Suite 830, Oak Brook, IL 60523
630-472-9700Available 24/7

Address 327 Dahlonega St., Suite 1803-A, Cumming, GA 30040
678-208-9200Available 24/7
Facebook LinkedIn Youtube Blog
Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C.
678-208-9200Available 24/7

Oak Brook College Tuition Expense Attorney

Oak Brook College Tuition Expense Attorney

Lawyers for College Expenses Post Divorce in DuPage County

When parents end their marriage in divorce, they usually do their best to ensure that their children are taken care of, both emotionally and financially. During divorce, parents work to allocate parental responsibility and parenting time in a way that provides for their children's best interests, and they ensure that their children receive the correct amount of child support to meet their needs. However, parents may not realize that they may also be obligated to contribute toward their children's college expenses.

At Kathryn L. Harry & Associates, P.C., we understand the financial difficulty that divorce can cause for a family, and we know that you want the best for your children, including making sure that they will be able to build a successful career for themselves. With the help of our knowledgeable, compassionate attorneys, you can ensure that your children will have the resources they need to pursue the college education they deserve.

Paying College Expenses

While parents are no longer required to pay child support once a child reaches the age of 18 and graduates from high school, both parents may be required to contribute to the child's college tuition and other expenses. In some cases, the amount each parent will contribute will be included in the marital settlement agreement that is part of the final divorce decree, or the agreement may state that the amount of each parent's contribution will be decided by the court when it becomes necessary.

When determining the amount of non-minor support that parents will be required to contribute, a judge will consider a number of factors, including:

  • Both parents' financial resources, including retirement savings, spousal maintenance paid or received, and the marital resources of parents who have remarried.
  • The child's financial resources, such as college savings accounts, scholarships, grants, student loans, or inheritances.
  • The standard of living the child would have maintained if the parents had not divorced.
  • The academic performance of the child. Children must maintain at least a "C" average to continue receiving financial support from their parents.

Included Expenses

The actual costs of a college education are usually more than the amount of tuition. Parents may be required to contribute to:

  • The actual costs of tuition and fees, up to the amount of in-state tuition and fees at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for that academic year;
  • The actual costs of on-campus or off-campus housing expenses, up to the amount of a room and standard meal plan at a residence hall at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for that academic year;
  • Medical expenses, including medical insurance and dental care;
  • The costs of required books and supplies;
  • Up to five college applications;
  • Up to two standardized college entrance exams; and
  • One standardized college entrance exam prep course.

The court may require parents to pay non-minor support directly to the child, to the other parent, or to the school, or payments may be handled through a special account or trust. Parents will no longer be obligated to pay non-minor support when the child receives a baccalaureate degree, when the child reaches the age of 23, or when the child gets married.

Contact an Elmhurst Family Lawyer

Your children's well-being is important, both during your divorce and as they grow to become adults. If you want to make sure your children will be able to receive the college education they deserve, our skilled attorneys can answer your questions and advocate for your family's best interests. Contact our DuPage County law office at 630-472-9700 to schedule a free initial consultation. We serve clients in Downers Grove, Wheaton, Hinsdale, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, and surrounding areas.

Back to Top